Friday, July 01, 2005

...But Seriously

Hi,

My flatmate Ceri has this funny habit of getting up at 4am-ish in the morning to have a cup of tea, check/write his emails, and read the English papers online for an hour or so, and then going back to bed. Something about having cacked up sleeping patterns...

When I get up in the morning, I quickly do a check of my emails before work, but always get sidetracked by the articles that he has left open. Ceri is a pretty intelligent guy, Oxford Uni graduate, and always has something thoughtful to say on the issues of the world, which I quite enjoy - it's nice to have a bit of intellectual brain stimulation, especially when the bulk of my day, work, involves virtually no use of that organ whatsoever!

Anyway, this is reflected in the papers and articles he reads, usually from The Guardian, an English, slightly left-leaning editorial style newspaper. The topics and issues are wide ranging and varied, both in style and content, and the ones I come across in the morning are always of this ilk, but this one in particular I felt somewhat close to.

It raises the issue of what happens to a persons taste in music once they hit the age of 30. I like to think I've got a pretty good, up-to-the-minute, and, crucially, credible taste in music. If you've been following my journal even remotely closely you'll have figured out that i'm not yer average Top-40 joe, sticking more closely to the fringes, most recently picking up on cool, new, and local bands from Seattle college radio - KEXP FM (www.KEXP.org) which I can't rate highly enough.

Anyway, the link to the article in question is just below - click on it and come back to me with your thoughts and comments (if you can be bothered).

Cheers,

Tony

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,1476908,00.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home